<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://fancyfrugallife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Fancy Frugal Life: DIY Vintage Ruffle Cake

Saturday, October 22, 2011

DIY Vintage Ruffle Cake






Whew!...This was a busy week for us! My little brother got married last weekend at a gorgeous ranch called Soda Springs in northern AZ. It was AMAZING..I can't wait to share pics of all the details. My gift to them was creating wedding decor around their sweet and stylish vintage theme. I will be sharing more of my projects in coming posts.


Here is the cute couple sharing their first dance!


Yesterday was our 5th wedding anniversary and I was inspired to make a vintage looking ruffle cake to celebrate. I watched a great video tutorial from My Sweet & Saucy to get an idea of how to make one. Also this was technically my second ruffle cake. My first one was kind of a big fail and looked wonky and got ruined in the car on the way to the party...sigh.

Oh and I am so not a profesh cake decorator at all.....just trying to upgrade my usual 9x13 sheet cake :)




This is a number 104 Wilton petal cake decorating tip. All you do is hold the tip facing down on the sides of the cake. Go back and forth in one inch wide sections to create your ruffles all the way around the cake. It really does goes fast. One tip though. I used store bought icing (with food coloring) and it wasn't stiff enough. I added powdered sugar and that helped.










Oh and this was a box cake...cause that's how I roll sometimes..well most times :) It still tasted yummy! My kids kept asking whose birthday it was...so confusing with all these weddings and birthdays, and anniversaries!



I made a mini bunting banner out of fabric triangles and hot glued them to a piece of floral bamboo I had.


Happy 5th anniversary to the best hubby and dad a girl could ever dream of!

xoxo


Lina


Love it?


Pin It










Joining these great parties:


Get more buttons here.




The 36th Avenue


Manic  Mother


Momma Hens Coop


Photobucket


Photobucket

Design Dazzle


Tip Junkie handmade projects

Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy






































































































































































27 Comments:

At October 22, 2011 at 9:40 PM , Blogger April said...

oh ya, I totally love it!!! YUMMY! I hope you will link your cake up over here:
http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2011/10/sweet-saturday-v10.html

 
At October 23, 2011 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Samantha @ The Douangphilas said...

Looks amazing! And yummy too :) (found you through the sasse life blog)

 
At October 23, 2011 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your cake turned out great! Thanks for linking up at Sasse Sunday Social!
Kim
www.thesasselife.com

 
At October 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Renee-The Hungry Monster said...

Love the ruffles :)
Following you from the Sasse life blog hop.
http://attackofthehungrymonster.blogspot.com/

 
At October 23, 2011 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Very cute cake. I will be posting my popcorn cake this wednesday. I made the cake for my daughter. I am your newest follower from the hop.

Pounds4Pennies

 
At October 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM , Blogger GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Dear Lina,

I love seeing these pretty cakes! And what a sweet photo of you and your guy! Beautiful couple! Sending big Happy Anniversary wishes to you! :)

Kindly, Lorraine

 
At October 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM , Blogger Kim said...

I love the cake! Happy Anniversary! Found you through the sasse life!

 
At October 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Super cute cake! Love you little blog! Hopping over from Sasse Sunday Social and following you! Hope you'll pop by and follow me back :)

www.thekurtzcorner.com

 
At October 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Roslyn said...

The cake looks great! I will have to try it, I think I have a petal tip. Happy anniversary!

 
At October 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

This is the most beautiful little cake! I adore it, actually! You have mad skills, seriously! All the projects you do are amazing!

 
At October 24, 2011 at 4:07 AM , Blogger SkinnyMeg said...

That cake is gorgeous! The bride looks so pretty in her dress :) Visiting from Kurtz Corner blog hop, love your blog I'm your newest follower!

Megan

 
At October 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Nicole [The Lovely Poppy] said...

thanks for sharing, i'm stopping by from tip junkie and would love to have you stop by my blog and check out the huge ($100) giveaway going on now- http://thelovelypoppy.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-follower-giveaway.html

 
At October 24, 2011 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Katy said...

Very pretty cake. I've seen some tutorials for the ribbon cake, but haven't been brave enough to try it myself. Our 5th anniversary is in 2 weeks, maybe I'll work up the courage to attempt this as a special treat.

katy @ redBuddy notes

 
At October 24, 2011 at 7:51 PM , Blogger The Polka Dot Closet said...

Happy Anniversary! I love, love! I am so excited to see your brothers wedding picture, my son is getting married in a year and they are having a vintage theme so I am soaking up ideas!

Carol

 
At October 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Sara said...

SO gorgeous!! I would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/10/turquoise-lovin-10.html

 
At October 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Katie said...

This looks delicious!! I love the color the frosting turned out! You did a great job!

 
At October 25, 2011 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks wonderful! Love the color! Thaqnks for sharing!Joann

 
At October 25, 2011 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Rosemary@villabarnes said...

That cake is so pretty, and it looks delicious. Happy anniversary.

 
At October 25, 2011 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Super cute! I love the color and I am sure it was quite tasty :) Loving the site!

Jessica @ oceansidedaydreams.webs.com

 
At October 27, 2011 at 3:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's soooo cute. I love the color and the special touch of the bunting!

 
At October 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM , Blogger andrea@townandprairie said...

I love the aqua colors in your food photo-styling! andrea@townandprairie

 
At October 27, 2011 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Simply Tasheena said...

Yummy! I love the ruffle look.

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

 
At October 28, 2011 at 5:39 PM , Blogger Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

this looks so pretty, and delicious. and i love the color of that frosting!!!!

If you're interested in linking up at more parties, I've got one that just started! I'd love to have you!

Once Upon a Weekend @ Family Ever After, Friday nights

http://www.familyeverafterblog.com/2011/10/once-upon-weekend-link-party-16-and.html

ps- Newest Follower!

 
At October 28, 2011 at 9:31 PM , Blogger petitehermine said...

Wow, congrats to your little bro and to yourself! The cake is gorgeous, btw. I love the color you chose too :)

 
At October 29, 2011 at 7:41 AM , Blogger Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

I love ruffle cakes! i want one for my wedding :) yours turned out awesome! very cute little bunting as well :)

 
At October 29, 2011 at 2:20 PM , Blogger Kelly Innes said...

What a great cake. I must work on my piping skills. Happy Anniversary!

 
At November 8, 2011 at 2:09 AM , Blogger Emreen said...

Wow ! What a wonderful looking cake you have made... !! Happy 5th Anniversary... I love the choice of food color and the bunting on top... !! Beautiful !!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home